The IRS has a 10 minute quiz to help determine whether you may be able to claim a Tax Education Credit. This will help you determine if you’re eligible for certain educational credits or deductions including the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Deduction.
Be prepared with the following because you’ll have to start over after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Filing status.
- Student’s enrollment status.
- Your adjusted gross income.
- Who paid the expenses, when the expenses were paid, and for what academic period.
- If any expenses were paid with tax-exempt funds.
- If any expenses were paid with distributions from a Coverdell Education Savings Account or Qualified Tuition Program.
The tool is designed for taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they’re inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International Taxpayers.
Remember…its not how much you earn but rather how much you keep. Learn about other ways to reduce the cost of tuition and college related costs.