There are various types of phone fraud from cramming, scamming, and spoofing. One of the most annoying, and seem to be growing, are robocalls. One way to quickly help mitigate the problem is sign up on the FTC’s National Do Not Call Registry.
- Go to the FTC Do Not Call Registry site
- Go to “Register Your Phone”
- Add your phone number and an email address to confirm the change
- Go to your email and confirm the change using the link provided (you have 72 hours to confirm)
- You should be directed web page that confirms your change
If you have added your name to the FTC’s Do Not Call Registry and believe your still being contacted by companies that you have not given permission there are a couple options you can pursue:
- Report violations by visiting donotcall.gov or call 1-888-382-1222. Prepare information such as the name and number of the caller, date, time of the call, and what the call was about.
- Visit ftc.gov or call 1-877-FTC-HELP.